Monday, August 9, 2010

Lessons from Little Ones

Yesterday when Archer laid down for his nap, he grabbed his ear and started screaming. Dan gave him some Tylenol, and we gave him some ear drops that we had from a previous ear infection (these infections happen way too often for our boy!), and he calmed down a bit. He seemed to get worse later in the evening, and got to the point we almost took him to the ER. He did not have a fever, and managed to calm down and crash out on the couch, so we decided to wait to take him to the pediatrician today.

I slept on the couch next to him, then Elle woke up, and fell back asleep in my arms--so all 3 of us crashed on the couch. Eventually I got Elle back down, and moved Archer to the guest bedroom with me on the twin mattress. He woke up at 2am after he heard Elle cry, and told me that baby was awake (translation-go get my sister!), so she came and crashed on the twin mattress with us too--the sweetest part? Archer was feeling lousy (he had a fever at this point), but sat up in bed and held his sister's hand, and helped me "pat" her back to sleep. She gave him a big smile and closed her eyes. This morning, when they both woke up, he grabbed a nearby toy and said, "close your eyes, mommy!" I did, and he said, "Dear God, thank you for this day, Amen." He then said a couple of more prayers for food and thanking God for the toy.

I realize this post is long, but it is for me to remember--remember how much I am learning from my children--that even when Archer feels lousy (his ear hurts, his tummy hurts, and his "hair hurts," which I think means he has a headache) he can remember to Thank God for the day and help his family--what precious lessons that I need to take to heart!

No comments: