Be kind to one another, tenderhearted... Ephesians 4:32
My boy? He's tenderhearted.
At first - that scared me.
I don't want him to be hurt because he is sensitive.
Sometimes empathy is painful.
But, it can also be a gift - especially if it motivates one to action, motivates one to love.
Be happy with those who are happy, and weep with those who weep. Romans 12:15
Time outs happen almost daily around our house. For Archer.
A couple of days ago Elle had her first time out, and Archer's protective big brother heart almost could not take it.
Elle didn't cry at all - just stood in the corner as she's seen her brother do many times before.
Archer burst into tears - sobbing, loudly, "MY BABY, OH NO MY BABY."
His heart hurt for his sister - the love so big - so strong - that it made this mommy tear up. That's when I realized that he has the gift of empathy - and I pray it will move him to action, move him to love - as he grows.
I also pray that he learns that empathy does not mean he carries the burden alone, but that he must allow God to carry the burden; and allow God to use him as an instrument of compassion.
Tuesday, January 18, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




1 comment:
That's precious.
Post a Comment