Friday, July 1, 2011

Seeking Joy

I'm finding that there can actually be joy in learning to always seek joy -
the more I seek it, pray for it, the more I find it - in unexpected places. Maybe the joy is always there, but now I'm opening my eyes to it even more.

One of those places? In an old consignment store plastic wagon - holes now drilled in the bottom, soil loaded in, and seeds lovingly planted by tiny, precious hands.

It's our tiny mobile garden of radishes, onions, carrots, and peas. The radishes are growing big and red, and my boy with the green thumb is happy. So is his mama.

It was a spur of the moment idea - not over thought (as ideas often are), simple, fun, a together project - just our family of 4 playing in the dirt.

It's teaching us of God's great attention to detail.

This is the first thing (any of us) have ever grown from seed blossoming, turning into real food. Maybe we are experiencing the same type of excitement God feels (a tiny glimpse) when seeds of hope, love, grace, mercy, and forgiveness are sown.

Who knew joy could be found in caring for a radish? (did you know that studies have proven there is something in dirt that physically leads to happiness? I can't remember what it is - Dan help me out here:-) That tells me, He made it that joy could be found in caring for a radish.

Sometimes I look too hard for things, when all I really have to do is open my eyes, my heart, ask and trust-my children do this so easily. I love hearing Archer pray for rain so confidently, it is a precious sound.

...For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children...Mark 10:14

1 comment:

Tiffany said...

Love this blog post Tara! If only I could be more like you...think how much happier I could be? :) Not that I'm particularly unhappy now, but you're such a great example to me!