
(my uncle Del was saying something
in this picture about Archer getting
the Cockrell hairline:-)
My Uncle Del and Archer, April 2008.
updated at 4am 7/9 to add:
My mom just called
from the hospital
in Oklahoma -
my gem of an uncle -
my Uncle Del -
passed away at 3:03am, 7/9/11,
surrounded
by family.
He had a
massive stroke late Thursday
night, and passed away
a short time ago.
I have so, so many {precious} memories
of this man. I can't even count the
number of hugs, of smiles, and
words of encouragement I've received
from him in my lifetime.
He was my Dad's brother,
and his best friend.
In the (almost) 8 years
that Dad's been gone,
I've reached out to Uncle Del
with successes and failures,
ups and downs,
and he was always happy
to fill that role.
He was funny,
loving,
and strong.
I can't count the number of times
he said in that deep
broadcasting voice of his,
"Now kiddo, if you need anything -
anything at all, just let me know."
And he meant it.
One of the things I'll miss most
about him is his voice,
although I'm sure there
are 1000s of hours of his
voice recorded.
He was a
and started
on a scratched up card
table with 2 students,
and through much hard
work and talent
turned it into a huge success.
When I was young, he was also
the voice of the State Fair of Oklahoma,
such a fun thing to walk through
the fair and hear his voice booming
over the speakers, and say with a
proud smile, "that's my Uncle Del!"
He used to let me come into the offices
and give me lots of free tickets for rides and games
and coloring books too.
My Dad and Uncle Del
were my fishing
buddies.
Many hours were spent at
the Blue River (and elsewhere)
in Oklahoma,
me always afraid to put
the worm on the hook,
and my Dad and Uncle Del
always happy to help.
One of my favorite
memories of him is from
almost a year ago.
He and my Uncle Mel
came to visit along
with Aunt Jan and Aunt Pat.
They came to see Archer
and meet our sweet Elle - she
was just a couple of days shy
of her first birthday when
they met.
Elleana's middle name, Delynn,
is after my Uncle Del
(the Lynn is after my Dad
and sister's middle name).
I think he was pretty proud of that. His voice rings
in my ear, come here Elleana Delynn, come see
your Uncle Del. Not one time that he said
her name, did he leave out her middle name.
I'm very grateful that he got to meet her, and
that I got to hug his neck a year ago.
I miss him already.
Grief is always hard.
I'm very grateful for the precious memories
that can carry us through this journey.



3 comments:
I'm sorry for your loss. The family is in my prayers. What a beautiful tribute you wrote.
So sorry Tara, praying for you as you grieve this loss.
oh my goodness Tara - I don't know how I missed this. What a BEAUTIFUL tribute you wrote about him. My heart and prayers go out to your family. Love you! We REALLY need to get together soon
Post a Comment