Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Remembering Dad

I love these pictures, sent to me by my Aunt Pat. My Dad is in the middle, with his younger twin brothers on either side. My Dad was the oldest of 4 boys (poor grandma:-), and I think he was the most mild mannered (least wild) of the bunch, but my Uncles can correct me if I'm wrong. The importance of family was instilled in him at a young age. My Grandpa worked in the oil field, and until my Dad was in high school the family moved every few months.

**Most of my blog followers probably know about my Dad--or at least know that we lost him 5 years ago (9/24/03) to pancreatic cancer (www.pancan.org). In some ways it seems like ages ago that we lost him, but in some ways it seems just like yesterday. It's kind of hard to explain.
I thought a post (or two) with some pictures would be a tribute, and give those of you who did not know him just a glimpse of who he was....**


My sister has had this picture hanging in her living room for years. My Dad on a horse--pretending to be a cowboy. My Dad continued with his love of all things Cowboy--boots, wranglers, and two-stepping. I would always think of my Dad when I heard "Should Have Been a Cowboy" by Toby Keith. The crazy thing? My Dad knew Toby Keith, and was there when he started writing that song. I did not find out about that story until after Dad passed away. As Uncle Del tells it, Toby, his manager, Dad, and Uncle Del spent the day Pheasant hunting to no avail. They went to a bar that evening (no doubt a country bar with two stepping) and Toby started writing a song....now when Uncle Del sees Toby, he says.."we did not get any Pheasant, but I sure got my hit!"

This picture was taken 1/20/65, the day before my Dad left to join the Marines. That is my cousin Sheila he is talking to on the couch. I love this picture, because I recall him talking in this same way to his grandkids--Ashlee, Gavin, and Garrett. He was an Awesome Papa.

The pictures above are also the day before he left for the Marines--with his Dad and brothers.
In his Marines uniform.
I'll post later with more pictures and memories, off to comfort my crying baby.

No comments: