Thursday, August 4, 2011

Challenging Books to Read

I've picked back up the hobby of reading in the last year or so. It took a backseat for a few years, but now I'm heading back into the territory of book worm - when I was growing up I always had a book in my hands.

About 6 months ago I read the 2 most challenging books I've read in a long time (and maybe ever). The first is The Hole in the Gospel, by Richard Stearns and the second is Radical, by David Platt (I am re-reading this now). Both books were eye-opening, and shook me up in a good way. I have much, much to learn - but these books are tools in opening my eyes to the needs I was blind to previously.

“Once our eyes are opened, we can’t pretend we don’t know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows what we know, and holds us responsible to act.”
~ Proverbs 24:12

Another tool that has opened my eyes over the last couple of years is the blog world. The internet allows us to see stories of transformation, love, and grace through those who share their lives in this format. One powerful blog - is The Journey - or Kisses from Katie - the founder of Amazima ministries, and mother of 14, and a 21 year old. Yes, that's right, a 21 year old. I stumbled across her blog a couple of years ago, and it is humbling and inspiring.

Katie wrote a book - it comes out in October, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. Please, if you have a moment, watch this book trailer - it's short, but powerful.

1 comment:

myra said...

Wow. What a cool story and a great reminder and example of what we are supposed to be doing in this world.