Wednesday, December 21, 2011

a Gift

yes, it's blurry - but check out the Joy on her face!
She loves climbing on peoples backs, climbing on anything really!
12.20.11

It's been a little over a month
since I went through a health scare.

For me?

It's been a good thing.

Of course, it was good that I received good news,
but also? I've been given a gift.

A gift of seeing with new eyes.

I don't do this perfectly, in fact, I have to remind
myself of my new eyes everyday.

These new eyes? When I use them?
Let me see things that I used to complain
about as blessings.
The bedtime routine (or, ahem, fight) -
I'm thankful for it.

The whiney child?
I get down on their level and
try to figure out why, instead of just reacting with anger.

These new eyes?
It takes practice.

These eyes?
Help me see that I need to give up
what I usually try to control.

Again, I'm still learning to use these new eyes,
it's a process,
but if I hadn't been so desperate for Him-
I'm not sure I would have ever known
that I could see this way.
Everything is more clear.

When I use these eyes?
I'm less afraid.
They help me see the risk-
is worth it.

I call the neighbor, call the friend,
ask someone to meet me for coffee.
It's hard for an introvert to use these
eyes sometimes, but when I do?
I learn. I am grateful, I am blessed.

I have much, much to still see
with these new eyes.
And?


1 comment:

Sara said...

So glad for your "new eyes". I was blessed by the evening with you.