Monday, March 21, 2011

Treasure Hunting

~a fraction of the bounty
from our treasure hunt~
I love his imagination.


my boy likes to know the plan for the day
he asks when he wakes where he is going
and who will be there.
on Saturdays we don't always have a plan
but I could see he woke up on the cranky
side of the bed, and I had an idea of what
we could do.
a treasure hunt, of the garage
sale-ing variety. I love the hunt, and I had a hunch
my boy would too.
he's up
for it, deciding that they will have dinosaurs
for him. I explained that with a treasure hunt..
you don't always know what you'll find.
we loaded
up in the car,
just the 2 of us, and drove
the 1.5 miles
to a promising neighborhood garage sale.
we walked
up to the first house, and I could see the treasure
on the table.
2 big plastic dinosaurs, marked clearly 25 cents
each.
it was a deal we could not refuse.
my boy?
grinning
from ear to ear at his find, and eager
to move on to the
next place.
we spent an hour in that neighborhood:
hunting, holding hands, digging for treasure, and paying
with our coins.
we found a big bag of dinosaurs at the last house for 2.00.
Perfect ending.

my treasure? this boy, this time to share together
his treasure? many, many dinosaurs

He said on the drive home, "that was the best hunt ever." I couldn't agree more.

2 comments:

Claire & Eden said...

So fun - LOVE this post =) What a special time and special memories! Btw, thank you for all our garage sale goodies! I'm overwhelmed!

Rachel @ Finding Joy said...

Love this.

I love how real and honest those little ones are, and how it truly doesn't take a great deal to make them happy.

Beautiful post.