Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Sarah - 2 years


Sarah, Me, Darien-almost 10 years ago!, Sarah's mom
way in the background Sarah's brother and Jay



Sarah on her wedding day

Sarah showing her foot next to some tracks
we found at a wildlife refuge on a trip
we made to Oklahoma

the 2 of us
Two years ago I posted this.

Last year I posted this.

In some ways it seems like a lot longer that Sarah's been gone, because there are so many times when I want to talk to her about something, share something with her - and realize she's not just a phone call or short drive away any longer. In some ways it seems like yesterday, because I vividly remember the day I found out our friend was gone, and the days that followed.

Grief is strange, isn't it? I do know that grief is an ever-changing journey. The first year was a year of Why? and quietly throwing a tantrum to God. More recently (by His grace) I've been able to focus more on the grace of Sarah, and how fortunate I was to know her - and how blessed I was by her friendship, and the continued friendship of her family.

We shared many titles over our 9 year friendship - coworkers, car pool buddies, room-mates, business partners, and friends (chosen family as she would say).

I remember the day we met at the White Rabbit (ha!) after Mario's band played. It was brief meeting, but fortunately she came to our house soon after (Dan was designing a website for Mario), and we discovered how much we had in common.

We were so different, but so alike - it's kind of hard to explain. She truly related to my obsession with craft supplies, office supplies, and books. She encouraged my creative side to surface again - after laying dormant a few years since my Art major college days.

Looking back, I think we both learned a lot from each other. I love the passion she had in teaching Darien, and making sure he knew how loved he truly was by his mommy. I love the way she handled pain and trials - in the end - by running to Him. I believe Sarah is dancing and running in Heaven - and that her short journey on this earth is still having an impact.

Sarah, I miss you girl! I stopped by the cemetery today, and your tree was blooming - and there was the niftiest little lime green beetle on the tiny flowers - (mine and Darien's favorite color). Darien is looking more like you everyday, and I'm so thankful I can still see your smile - by looking at his.

2 comments:

Claire & Eden said...

beautiful - love you!

Allison said...

What a sweet tribute to your friend. Thinking about you!