Monday, April 11, 2011

Rest? I'm a fan.

Rest.
I used to think it was over-rated.
Now? I'm a fan.
Dan's been trying to talk me into a day of rest
for quite some time.

I resisted.
*
~in my mind~ "what if I run
out of diapers or wipes or
chocolate or other necessities...not
even one little trip to CVS is
allowed?"
*
Since I work during the week
I often try to overcompensate
with either errand running
or fun activities
on the weekend.
*
And the control freak in me?
Couldn't stand the idea of
not having control and/or
a plan for everything that
was going to happen that day.
*
And the skeptic in me?
Didn't like the idea of being
home all day. I work from
home. We often stay home -
I wanted the freedom
to leave, and I didn't think
it would be all that different
from other days.
*
Saturday?
We rested, and it was good.
*
We played outside.
We played inside.
We played upstairs.
We played downstairs.
We played with the water hose.
We played in the bathtub.
(I just realized that doesn't
sound
much like rest,
but it was -
and we
napped when the kiddos napped!)
*
And I asked my husband - do you think
we could squeeze in at least 2 days
of rest a month?
*
He was glad I came around.
So was I.
*
I think the kids were too.
I heard many more,
"I loves you" from
Archer, and he said
to both of us,
"I wish you could always be with me."
*
I was a better version of me
on Saturday, more patient,
more fun, less distracted,
more creative,
more
joyful -
because I knew I "couldn't"
go anywhere.
*
I put less pressure
on myself,
and had
less expectations
of myself,
and liked
myself more because of it.

Jeremiah 31:25
" For I have given rest to the weary..."

No comments: